January 18, 2010

Bible Study: Esther



Hey girls! Well, it's time for the Bible Study!!!!!!!!

It is currently 7:25 AM here in Canada.

If you're just joining us, please read Esther Chapter 1 before you go on. If you want to join, please comment so I can put you on a list.

So here we have Vashti, whose name means "lovely". And indeed she was. Plus, she had a grand title above her: Queen Vashti. Yep, her husband was King Xerxes, how ruled over 127 provinces from India to Cush. On day he gave a 180 day feast for everyone in the palace. When those 180 days were over, the King gave a 7-day big dinner in his garden. Which wasn't your ordinary peas and carrots growing out of the dirt. Hangings of blue and white linens were fastened with cords of white linen and purple material attached to silver rings on marble pillars. Gold and silver couches sat on mosaic paving of marble. Servants served wine in gold goblets. It wasn't proper culture for men and women to be hosted in the same place, so Vashti hosted the women in the palace.

On the last day of the banquet, the king was drunk and told his servants to go fetch him the Queen so he could put her on display, for she was lovely to look at. The King's men crashed Vashti's party to tell her the King's message.

What would she do?

He was the King, and he usually treated her very well.. She enjoyed special privileges and nice things. But Vashti told the King, "No way." She refused to parade around in front of a bunch of drunken men.

The King was very angry and threw a fit. He called the wise men who knew alot about fairness and matters of law. "Queen Vashti didn't obey my law. What should I do?" "Well," they said, "Queen Vashti messed up big time. If the women learn what she did, they will say no to you too. And then we will lose control of all our women. So if it pleases the King, let us send out a decree saying that Vashti can never see you again. And let her position as Queen be given to someone who is better than she is." The King was pleased, so that's what he did.

Ouch. Vashti lost her crown, her position in society, her home, and all the nice things that came with it. But she didn't lose her values. She didn't lower herself or lose her dignity. Yes, it was a high price to pay, but Vashti left that palace with her self-respect intact.

Are you willing to give up material things to do the right thing?

To me, this is a story about standing up for your values and courage. I mean, the King is so angry he's having a fit, and he needs to call the wise men to help him decide what to do to her. If I was Vashti, I would be scared. I think I would have trembling walking out of that palace, but knowing that I did the right thing.

Bible Verse: "A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold." Proverbs 22:1

So that's it for the first Bible study. I guess there are 2 heroes in the book of Esther. I think the next study will be on Friday, but I might post 1 or 2 times in between. Please read Esther Chapter 2 and 3: 1-4.

Love in Christ, Abbie =D x0x

P.S. If you want to check our my latest feature, the Tag of the Month, click here!

4 comments:

  1. DID YOU GET MY EMAIL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got your email Zara but I'm in a really hurry so can I email you later?

    Love, Abbie =D

    Sorry I didn't reply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Abbie,
    Wow, that was a really awesome post -- thanks for that! I have to make sure I'm giving up material stuff for the RIGHT things, too...:)

    Luv,Emii

    ReplyDelete

comments make my day. so leave one & be awesome.