June 22, 2012

this is home - northland bible camp

(A few film pictures from my first two years at camp. I was a GREAT photographer. (<- sarcasm) Oh, and the bottom right photo? That's me doing the peace sign. I have no idea why almost every picture of me at that age has me doing it.)


Tomorrow.

After years of dreaming and speculating, one of my dreams is finally beginning. I am going to camp to train to be a counselor for Bunny Camp (ages 7-8) and Junior Girls (ages 9-11).

Sometimes when I think about camp, I really don't have anything to say. No words can express the feeling I have when I'm there. It's my third home, really. My father and my aunt went there when they were kids. Whenever I'm there I always spend some time in the chapel, reading the names of campers past posted on the wall. I'm on there, and so are they, and so is my older brother. 

I close my eyes, 
And go back in time
I can see you smiling,
You're so alive.

(lyrics from souvenirs by switchfoot)

These are the memories that come when I close my eyes and think about Northland.

Sitting around the campfire in the "church in the birch", eating s'mores, singing, and laughing with friends.
Running into the water and diving under; gathering tiny shells as souvenirs.
Sharing candy with friends and laughing over funny stories.
The sound of all the campers singing together, the anthem for Northland Bible Camp.
Running around on the last morning of camp, taking pictures and getting signatures and giving hugs.
Making bannock at the campfire (one of my favorite camp foods ever.)
Practicing skits and songs with my cabinmates.
Getting soaking wet with friends during the yearly downpour of rain we seem to get.
The one time that it snowed. In July. And we all froze.
The year that we went on a camp out, and we all slept in a tent during a thunderstorm.
Making crafts in the Craft Shack while listening to Switchfoot music.
Lining up in front of the Dining Hall at 8:00AM to do 'morning exercises'.
Canoeing and kayaking under the sunset.

And to think those are only just a few of the memories stored in my vault. It took my over an hour to write this post, because the truth is, camp is a huge part of my life, and thinking about it makes me so happy I almost want to cry. It's hard to know what to write about something you love so much.

I remember when I was 9 years old at camp, and I said to my counselor, "When I'm old enough, I want to be a counselor." Now I finally will be one, and it's both scary and exciting at the same time.

I'll only be gone over night this time, but I'll be gone for a week in July and a week at the end of July/early August. So I'll be looking for guest posters! :)

See you later, Northland Bible Camp. I can't wait to come home.


Abbie /// XOXOX


0 comments:

Post a Comment

comments make my day. so leave one & be awesome.