May 28, 2013

I am not infinite.


I watched the most amazing video today. The most inspiring thing I've ever seen. If you take 20 minutes out of your day and watch it, it'll probably inspire you too. 

God chose to give humans the two most extravagant gifts He could offer.
The most important was salvation, and love, and forgiveness and freedom, and His son, Jesus.
The second gift? He gave us the gift of LIFE. Full, rich life, with its beauty and joy and love. He has given us so much on this beautiful earth. And when I take a step back I start to see an inkling of the bigger picture.

I am going to die someday. 10 out of 10 people die. That is the truth. And I don't wanna live like I'm infinite, because I'm not. I want to embrace my life. I want to wake up every morning and think, "I've never seen anything more beautiful than the beauty that today holds."

We are here for a reason. (It's no accident we're here tonight.) We have an amazing chance - to change the world around us. Look at the lives that Zach has touched. And even after his life ended - he touched mine today! Zach didn't let death stop him, and he didn't let circumstances stop him either. He lived FULL - right where he was! He loved people. He always had a smile. He brightened people's days. He changed his circle of influence. He said, "I want everyone to know... that you don't have to wait until you're dying to start living."

Oh, how I want to live like that. I want to live and love with every bit of my body. I am going to die someday. But I'd rather be killed by a life well lived than by apathy.

The rain falls heavy and my mind is heavy with thoughts. I will live a full and amazing life. But I also don't want my life to be just about... experiences, and goals, and whatnot. I want people. P-E-O-P-L-E. I want to love my family and friends with every fiber of my being. I don't want to just float above the surface of the earth. I want to put deep roots into this world and leave behind an incredible legacy. I want to dance. I want to live hard. I wanna eat sugary cereal and see live music and take long car trips. I want to see more of the world. I want to have the best of times with the best of people. I want to walk barefoot in the cold fresh creek and read books until 3AM in the morning (but only once in a while.) I want to take canoe fishing trips with my older brother. I want to eat ice cream cones and watch fireworks and swim in lakes, and someday, in the ocean. The best part is, you can start living well right where you are.

This is your life Are you who you wanna be?
(switchfoot, this is your life.)

4 comments:

  1. Oh thank you, Abbie! That was a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i watched that video about zach on the day he died, and cried through a good portion of it. that last sentence really pulled this together. sometimes it's hard to remember that the only real restrictions there are on life are the ones we set in our minds. there's no time like the present to start living like you're dying.

    great reminder, abbie-dear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for posting that video abbie. i think that my perspective just got more real. on life, people, problems. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes, i watched that video the other day, and wow. zach is such an inspiring person who didn't let his sickness become a limitation. and i love the line in there when one man says, "this isn't happening because you're dying, but because of how you're living." isn't that amazing? and so true, too. with all that i am i want to live a rich and full life. also, thanks for the reminder that we don't have to wait to live a wonderful life, but we can start "living well right where we are." love this so much. xx

    ReplyDelete

comments make my day. so leave one & be awesome.