May 1, 2013

looking ahead, looking behind



At the beginning of this April, I made a list of things I wanted to accomplish this month, big or small. All in all, there were 21 things to do, not to mention my list of books to read. Out of all of them, guess how much I accomplished.

4.

Four.

I have been so frustrated with myself these past few days. 2013 hasn't been going like I'd hoped. It's been a lot of tired, alone, weary, not getting things done, and feeling stuck. But I am learning a lot of things.

3 of the greatest things I've done this year.

Reading my Bible (nearly) every day. I've only been doing this one for a few weeks now. I started reading through the New Testament this month and I'm now in the book of Luke. It's been truly incredible and has brought me to a bigger understanding of who Jesus is and what he requires from his followers.

Listening to new music. My music taste has almost tripled since the beginning of the year. I used to be really afraid of listening to new music, and sometimes people give me really weird looks when I say that, but it's true. I don't know what changed this year, but it's been so exciting and amazing to be discovering all this awesome music. Favorites right now are Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons, which is pure amazing, Ghosts Upon the Earth by Gungor, one of my favorite worship albums to date, and Night Visions by Imagine Dragons - I bought it on Sunday and I can't get enough of it.

Reading so many good books. In 2013 so far, I've read 19 books. I've discovered new adventures. New favorites. And even some stories that have changed my life.

Through my Bible reading (and, yes, experience), I've learned that Jesus was a person of action, and doing, and making things happen. No, he was not a busybody, and yes, he took adequate time to rest. But he made good on his promises, and he was in motion. If you're in a slow season of life (I mean, I've been in that slow season for the past few months), then that's okay. God will take you however you are.

I want to follow in Christ's example and be a doer, not just a talker. I talked about reading a bunch of new books this month. I only read 3 books this month, and none of them were on my list. Yes, I ordered those books, but they haven't come in yet. It took me so long to get to it because I was just talking about it.

If you're wondering, I am making a May list. And I hope to make good on it this time. I'm tired of the idle and washed out and stretched thin - I want the full and the blessed motion of a life lived well.

Happy May.

4 comments:

  1. Your may list sounds fantastic. Great goals! I'm always looking for good music and am going to check the ones you mentioned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this, sweet girl.
    i can't wait to see what may has in store for you.
    the alcove

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abbie. You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you never cease to inspire me, abbie. x
    (ps- sending out your letter tomorrow!)

    ReplyDelete

comments make my day. so leave one & be awesome.