May 24, 2013

you don't have to be a photographer.

Here it is: You don't have to be a photographer.

I'm not trying to put down photographers. I think photographers are awesome. I love photography. And photographers. I love taking pictures myself. But I am saying right now, you don't have to be a photographer.

Because right now, it seems like waaay too many people are "teenaged aspiring photographers" who are "just starting their business" and shooting weddings, and did I mention how many of them are homeschooled?

Heck. I was guilty of that last summer. I thought that because I enjoyed taking pictures & people told me I was good, a booming photography business was my destiny. I opened up an amateur Facebook page and proclaimed that photography was my passion.

How wrong I was. I've realized that I enjoy taking pictures, but a photography business is NOT the path for me. Photography will remain mostly a hobby. And if someone asks me to take their pictures or shoot their wedding, I'll gladly do it. But a business is simply not my thing. I've made mistakes, and I've made lots of them, while trying to figure out this huge, crazy, wild & fantastic thing called life. I don't have much figured out yet, and I don't really know what I wanna be yet. I wanna do something with music involved, or something that has me traveling internationally a lot. I really don't know yet! But the beauty of this is that I'm only 15, so I have time.

You are your own person, with your own heart and your own dreams. And I want you to chase them, even if they're crazy. Don't feel like you have to do what everyone else is doing, and if the idea of a photography career seems unappealing and unexciting to you, then by all means, don't start one. BUT if a photographer career thrills your soul and you know that you'd like to do nothing else, then go for it.

to quote tangled... "What about you? What's your dream?"


10 comments:

  1. Yes! Finally someone agrees with me! Photography is great and all, but all this is too much. Every other person in the homeschooled teenage blog world is a photographer. Most blog that start off inspiring and great, with amazing writing turn into photography blogs. I don't want that to happen to me, even though I do enjoy taking pictures. Thanks, Abbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with this! It's a great point. Even for me, I really love running photography as a business and I plan to have it be a part of my life for a very long time. I get to bring in money doing something I love and that's a privileged not given to many.

    But am I going to college for it? Nope! I'm going for Advertising. Because I really enjoy working with nonprofits and creative small business to help promote their work. Plus, I can apply it to my own business as well.

    But above all, I want to work with women who have been abused. My photography and advertising is a way for me to support myself so that I can invest in what I'm really passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES. YES. Oh my gosh, Abbie. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you rock my socks off, girlie. this was so mature and insightful. bravo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree! When I first started getting into photography I thought that it was all fun and games. Boy was I wrong! Running a photography business is MUCH more than setting up shoots and snapping pictures! It is so much more! I think that a lot of people don't realize how much work it really is to run a business no matter if it's a photography, sewing, or dog walking! Just because you can take good pictures does NOT make you a photographer!

    Through God's will I have started my own photography business and I love it! No, it's not just snapping pictures. It's learning how to communicate with people, when to say "no", and money management. All these things are hard, but this is the path God has for me and I'm very thankful that it is! :)

    GREAT post Abbie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've said it before and I'll say it again--Abbie, you inspire me so much. I love your insight and perspective on life and I really appreciate you writing this post. I still have NO idea what I want to do with my life (as far as a career goes), but you have really encouraged me to go in the direction that my heart tells me, even if it's not photography. Love you girl! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not much of a photographer. So I pretty much never put pictures on my blog. Thank you :) My dream is to be an actress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is the coolest thing. i take pictures, but i'm not like, a photographer-photographer. music and writing are my passions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. music!! classical music is my passion. playing piano = happiness. also, I really really like art and photography. :))

    I really adore this post!

    xx A

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmhmm. yes yes yes.

    ReplyDelete

comments make my day. so leave one & be awesome.